Our Goals

Our Goals
1. To eat fresh and local.
2. To increase our intake of fruits and vegetables in a healthy way.
3. To expand our culinary skills and recipe repertoire.
4. To save money!
5. Introduce Owen to food using the Baby Led Solids approach.
6. To enjoy this experience and share with you each week.
Jessica and Brian have been married 5 years. Our son, Owen came along this past August (12 weeks premature). I would describe us as a pretty normal family, down to earth, fun, loving, mostly mainstream with a side of crunchy. We love eat therefore we are willing to cook!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

How did I get here?

I love vegetables. I always have. As a kid I would eat fruits and veggies over sweets. That has changed a bit as I have gotten older.

I like to cook (and eat) so when we moved into our first home, a garden seemed like a great idea. Then I realized I’m a lazy gardener. So this blog is not about gardening.

This all started three summers ago when my husband and I started a garden in our back yard and planted the typical New England garden. Green beans, tomatoes (6 varieties), lettuce, cucumbers, variety of peppers, squash, zucchini, brussel sprouts, herbs and more. We pretty much put the plants in the ground and did nothing but water and weed (sparingly).  We crowded our poor 14x14 space and could barely walk through the garden to get our bounty. And who really needs 30 cucumbers a week! I swear we were pickled by the end of the summer.

Year two we narrowed the list down and planted less plants and varieties. It was the hottest summer that I could remember and I was pregnant so the garden got very little love, again. When our son was born 12 weeks premature in August, the garden was truly abandoned at the peak of harvest. 

Year three I realized something had to change. I wanted a large variety of fresh vegetables. Yet I didn’t need 15+ of each item each week. I also didn’t have the time or desire to tend to a garden. Plus we were ready to branch out to vegetables we had never tried before. So with some research I found the Connecticut community supported agriculture website and narrowed the list of farms down to the one closest to my home. Farmers Joe’s Garden Farmer Harvest Program is a perfect opportunity to eat fresh, local produce, at a good price, and support our friendly farmer. Farmer Joe’s is a 15 week program so I am also participating in Massaro Farm’s CSA Fall Share program for 4 weeks.

In future posts I will discuss our family, each farm, the produce, the cost comparison, the recipes and overall experience.  I will try and include photos of the weekly share and possibly the end result on a plate. I welcome comments and especially recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment