Our Goals

Our Goals
1. To eat fresh and local.
2. To increase our intake of fruits and vegetables in a healthy way.
3. To expand our culinary skills and recipe repertoire.
4. To save money!
5. Introduce Owen to food using the Baby Led Solids approach.
6. To enjoy this experience and share with you each week.
Jessica and Brian have been married 5 years. Our son, Owen came along this past August (12 weeks premature). I would describe us as a pretty normal family, down to earth, fun, loving, mostly mainstream with a side of crunchy. We love eat therefore we are willing to cook!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Week 1 Eating Part 1

The plan!
  • Strawberries were the easiest. Half of them got eaten straight out of the container. They are beautiful, perfect small stemmed strawberries. Not the behemoths you get from California. Super sweet and delicious. Besides eating as is in all their glory. I made stuffed french toast. Now any good Jewish girl can make a mean french toast out of Challah bread. I have always wanted to try strawberry stuffed french toast and though it was worth attempting. I found a basic recipe online and it was OK. I need to make the cream cheese/strawberry filling a bit sweeter with some sugar. Check out breakfast! Now I know this does not lean into the "eat healthier" blog goal. However, Brian had just spent his two weeks in the field with the CT Army National Guard so we splurged with a special Saturday morning breakfast. 
  • Lettuce was also an easy thing to figure out. Salad! Brian and I eat salad with dinner almost every night. That is one reason I chose to participate in the CSA because I was spending so much money each week on produce alone to make salads and side dishes. Between the two lettuces I had plenty plus to make a large salad for the week. I estimate I saved $6.00 on lettuce this week.
    • Previously my lettuce came in a triple washed bag. I had gotten rid of my salad spinner long ago. If I am going to be washing lettuce at any frequency, I will need to go buy another one. A bit of a bummer that I have to buy another one, but there is no way I want to wash and dry lettuce with paper towels on the counter. I may stay at home, but I don't have a lot of free time.
  • Tomorrow I plan to make some zucchini bread. I will have to look up a recipe and give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment