Our Goals

Our Goals
1. To eat fresh and local.
2. To increase our intake of fruits and vegetables in a healthy way.
3. To expand our culinary skills and recipe repertoire.
4. To save money!
5. Introduce Owen to food using the Baby Led Solids approach.
6. To enjoy this experience and share with you each week.
Jessica and Brian have been married 5 years. Our son, Owen came along this past August (12 weeks premature). I would describe us as a pretty normal family, down to earth, fun, loving, mostly mainstream with a side of crunchy. We love eat therefore we are willing to cook!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Week 2

I thought my weeks went by fast when I had a child but they go faster when you get a weekly batch of vegetables! Here is picture of this week's bounty.
We have romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, kale, swiss chard, beets, cabbage, zucchini, summer squash, pickling cucumbers, traditional cucumber, green beans, snap peas, and basil. The basil came as a small potted plant so we planted it in a planter in the backyard.

My goal tonight is to meal plan, make a supplemental grocery list, shop tomorrow and start cooking. This week I will double check that I have all ingredients in the house before I try and make something.

Lastly, I prepped the lettuce tonight in anticipation of making a salad tomorrow. My new salad spinner was CLUTCH! The red leaf lettuce this week was very sandy. I dunked and drained it 3x in a water bath and maybe should have done it a 4th time but it seemed OK. I spun both lettuces, let them air dry on the counter over a paper towel and in a half hour bundled them into a plastic baggie and put them in the fridge. It should make for a crisper salad this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment